Now that winter is slowly starting to come to an end, it’s time to start assessing the damage to your home. The winter can be very hard on your home, often doing the kind of damage to your siding that can lead to more serious damage to the rest of your house if it goes unrepaired. If you live in Fed Hill then you should call a trusted roofing contractor in Federal Hill for help.
Signs to Look for
When you inspect your house for winter damage, look for these signs:
- Missing or Dislodged Siding: Your siding protects your house from water and sun damage, and it also helps keep the heat inside. So keep an eye out for pieces of siding that are missing or have become dislodged, and no longer interlock with the sections around it. This needs to be fixed as soon as possible.
- Warped Siding: Warped siding is a potential sign of water damage underneath. And even if it’s not warped due to water damage, it can end up causing water damage. This also needs quick attention.
- Paint Chipping and Peeling: If the paint on the outside of your house chips and peels so much that you need to repaint frequently, it’s a sign that your siding may be letting in too much moisture and damaging the structure of your house. Frequently peeling paint inside your house is an especially worrying sign.
- Cracks: Cracks in your siding are an indication of weather damage. Holes are not likely the result of winter weather, though, but of bugs instead. Both of these issues require quick attention.
- High Heating Bill: If your heating bill is unusually high, it could be a sign of serious siding damage that needs to be fixed as soon as possible.
Different sidings tend to be damaged by winter weather in different ways. The cold winter temperatures cause vinyl siding to become brittle and crack or break. These cracks let water and cold air in and heat out. Wood siding tends to get rotted by winter weather, which can cause serious damage to your house’s structure.
The Importance of Seasonal Maintenance
Winter weather can take a real toll on your siding. In fact, each season does its own kind of damage. It’s very important to do regular seasonal maintenance on your siding to keep little problems from becoming big, expensive ones.
Call a Roofing Contractor in Federal Hill
You need a reputable roofing contractor in Federal Hill if you suspect winter siding damage. Call us today at Cox Roofing for a free estimate.