A lot of homeowners just shrug if they notice their gutters leaking. It doesn’t seem like an urgent problem, it seems like it can be deferred until later. That’s not a good idea, though. Leaking gutters can damage both the roof and the foundation of your house, and cost you a lot more in the long run. If you live in Pikesville, MD and have leaking gutters then you need to call a good roofing company in Pikesville, MD for help.
The Damage Caused by Gutter Leaks
Water from leaking gutters can pool around your home’s foundation, causing serious structural damage in time. Even concrete can rot when exposed to water for long enough. This water can also lead to flooding. Water from gutter leaks can even seep into the roof, leading to mold, mildew, and roof leaks in addition to rot.
Common Reasons for Gutter Leaks
There are a few different reasons why gutters can leak. Some of them can be hard to spot.
- Age: Gutter leaks are frequently caused by age. Storm damage, impacts from tree limbs, and exposure to the elements can do enough damage to cause holes and gaps to appear.
- Detached gutters: Wind can pull your gutters away from your house, allowing water to run right off your roof onto the ground.
- Clogs: Clogged gutters can cause water to back up and overflow the gutters onto your roof or the ground.
- Gaps between sections: Many gutter systems are made from sections. In time, these sections can become detached from each other, causing leaks.
- The wrong slope: Whether due to age or poor installation, some gutters slope the wrong way, not allowing water to flow through. This leaves the water with no way to drain, and the gutters overflow as a result.
Gutter Repairs Are Tricky
Even though it may not seem like it, gutter repairs can be surprisingly tricky. Affixing it properly to the roof, getting the grade right, and fixing holes and gaps so they are watertight takes a lot of work and experience. It’s best to leave these problems, and the dangerous heights, to the professionals.
Time to Call an Experienced Roofing Company in Pikesville, MD
If the gutters of your Pikesville, MD home are leaking, you need the help of an experienced roofing company in Pikesville, MD. It’s time to call us at Cox Roofing for a free estimate.