Installing a new roof is a major investment. However, regular maintenance and repair on an existing roof can extend the life of your roof so that you won’t need to purchase a new one for a longer period of time. Here are some tips for maintaining your roof’s asphalt shingles, tile, or slate:
Some Tips to Extend the Life of Your Roof
Maintaining Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles are incredibly durable. However, they are prone to wear and tear in specific environments. Take the following steps toward regular maintenance:
- Clear debris. At least once a year, clear accumulated debris from your roof. Too much debris traps moisture in your shingles and reduces their effectiveness.
- Check for algae and moss. If you live in a moist environment, you might notice dark streaks on your asphalt roof. These streaks are caused by algae growth on your roof which shortens the life of the shingles.
Tile roofs have superior thermal properties and can withstand harsh weather conditions. A well installed and maintained tile roof can last for a generation. Here are some tips to maintain your tiled roof:
- Inspect the tiles regularly. Look out for cracked chips and any damaged sections and have broken tiles replaced.
- Avoid pressure washing your roof. Pressure washing can erode your tiles if done repeatedly. Use a towel and wire brush to clean your roof manually instead.
Despite their initial high cost of installation, slate roofs are a popular roofing option. Here are some tips for maintaining your slate roof:
- Inspect individual slates. Thin slate shingles may crack from fallen tree limbs or wind damage. While doing an inspection, use a pair of binoculars from ground level to determine the damage. Always avoid walking on a slate roof since this can cause additional damage.
- Inspect the roof from the attic. Slate roof maintenance requires more than just inspection of the exterior part of the roof. Inspect the roof from the attic where you can see the roof’s interior layers. Using a flashlight, check for stains on timbers and sloped slate tiles.
If you notice any faults on your roof, call in a roof repair and installation company to assess the situation. Cox Roofing is a full-service roofing company in Abingdon, MD. Get in touch with us today for any commercial and residential roofing solutions.